LASER Eye Surgery/LASIK Eye Surgery in India
What is LASIK?
LASIK is an abbreviation for Laser Assisted In Situ Kerato-mileusis. Situ is Greek word for "in the natural or normal place." Kerato is the Greek word for Cornea and Mileusis means "to shape". It's popularly known as Laser Eye Surgery. It is a type of refractive surgery for correcting vision(Eye Number) problem with use of Laser Technology. LASIK is the standard surgical treatment for vision problems i.e. near vision or far vision. LASIK is performed by skilled Eye Surgeon-OPHTHALMOLOGISTS.
Vision Errors- Why?
Cornea is a part of the eye that focus lights of retina to create an Image (Similarly to camera lens focus light on film). The bending and focusing of light is known as refraction. If the shape of cornea is not perfect the image on retina is unclear. These imperfections in the focused on power of Eye are known as Refractive Errors or vision errors. `
There are mainly three type of errors
1.Myopia or Nearsightedness: People who have difficulty in seeing Distant Objects.
2. Hyperopia or Farsightedness: People who have difficulty in seeing Near Objects.
3. Astigmatism is a distortion of the image on the retina caused by irregularities in the Cornea.
Eye Glasses(spectacles) or Contact lenses are used to compensate for the Eye's imperfections. Surgical procedures aimed at improving the focusing power of the eye are called Refractive Eye Surgery.
Laser Eye Surgery procedure (LASIK Eye Surgery)
In LASIK Surgery, precise and controlled removal of corneal tissue by a special laser treatment re-shapes the cornea by changing its focusing power.There are mainly four stages in the surgery as follows:
1. Creation of a thin flap on the Eye.
2. Folding the thin flap to expose the portion of Cornea beneath.
3 Computer controlled laser re-shapes the Cornea.
4. The thin flap is laid in to original position and observed for 3-5 minutes. Cornea bonds quickly and Eye does not requires stitches. The total time for surgery usually takes less than 30 minutes.
This operation is performed with the patient awake; however, the patient is sometimes given a mild sedative and Anesthetic Eye Drops.
LASIK is now days done by latest Wavefront- Guided LASIK technology in which an ophthalmologist applies a spatially varying correction, guiding the computer-controlled excimer laser with measurements from a wavefront sensor.
Who Should use Laser Eye treatment?
- The U.S. FDA has approved LASIK for above age 18 years.
- Both Nearsighted and Farsighted people can benefit from the LASIK procedure.
- The person seeking freedom form Contact Lens or Eye Glasses.
- If , you are looking at improved life style.
Before Laser Eye/Lasik Eye Surgery
- Your Eye number needs to be stable for at least one year prior to Surgery.
- If you are wearing Contact lenses, stop wearing those 5 to 21 days before Surgery; please check with your Surgeon in advance.
- Stop using Creams, lotions and Cosmetics for a day before Surgery
- The patient typically is prescribed and Self-Administrator antibiotic drops before hand to minimize the risk of infection after the procedure.
- Understand risks associated with the Surgery.
Who should Avoid LASIK Surgery?
- If ,your age is below 18.
- If ,you have unstable vision.
- If ,you have history of dry eyes.
- If ,you are Pregnant.
Benefits of Laser Eye Surgery in India
LASIK Eye Surgery have advantages over other vision correction procedures are as follows:
- Relatively No pain
- Good vision usually achieved very next day
- No Stitches
- No major Anesthesia
- Very High Success Ratio
- Faster Recovery
- Viable & Cosmetic alternative to wearing number Eye-glasses or Contact Lenses.
LASIK Eye Surgery In India
Lasik/Laser Eye Surgeries is available in Major Cities like New Delhi(Delhi), Mumbai(formally Bombay),Chennai(formally Madras),Bangalore, Goa, Kolkata(formally Calcutta), Ahmedabad, Surat and Rajkot etc Their are numbers of Hospital with International accreditations of JCI, NABH and ISO etc operating many Lasik Eye surgeries in India.
LASIK Eye Surgery Hospital Stay in India
LASIK surgery is a day care procedure.Their is no need for hospitalization.
After LASIK Eye Surgery
- Complete dosage of eye drops given by surgeon.
- Sleep more.
- Wear Sun glass as advised by Surgeon.
- Avoid Rubbing your eye could dislodge the flap.
- You should plan on taking a few days off from work.
- Wait for up to two weeks after surgery or until your Doctor advises you otherwise before using lotions, creams and cosmetics around the Eyes.
- You should also avoid swimming and using hot tubs or whirlpools for 1-2 months.
Laser Eye Surgery Cost In India
Laser Eye Surgery cost in India is appx. 350 to 600 US$.
Laser Eye Surgery Risks
- Risk Involved - with experienced hands risk involved is very low less than 1%.
- Possible side effects are Surgery induced dry eyes, Light sensitivity, Over-correction or under-correction, which are usually temporary.
Laser Eye Surgery Success Ratio In India
The surveys determining patient satisfaction with LASIK have found most patients satisfied, with satisfaction upto 98%-99%. Or in other words the rate of severe complications should be substantially less than 1%.
- LASIK Eye Surgery has been performed Since 1990s
- Almost 17 million of People had Surgery with the maximum numbers from the USA (appx. 8 million).
- Its a Refractive Surgery
- Worldwide market exceeds $3 billion (2008) of Refractive surgery procedures.
- Include corrections for Nearsightedness, farsightedness, Astigmatism and Presbyopia.
- There are almost similar proportions of Males and Females having their refraction corrected by LASIK surgery and almost more than 89% of the Patients recommend it to others.
- The LASIK Eye Surgery (for both Eyes) takes only 10 to 15 minutes from start to finish. The excimer laser used in LASIK surgery removes thin layers of corneal tissue that are 1/200th thickness of a human hair. And each slice is taken in about 12 billions of a second.